Saturday, December 18, 2010

Young Pop ::: 1000 Degrees

I remember when I first saw a video of Young Pop on Facebook. I thought that both his style and performance were much more interesting and attractive than most local rappers I’d seen at the time. Then, we interviewed him. Our respect and admiration for his artistry grew more, and it’s been growing ever since.

Then we heard THIS….


His tone, energy, and approach are a little different than usual.

It’s more manly…

It’s more disrespectful…

“unleashed” is the best word to describe it. I don’t know what type of rapper-juice Young Pop’s been sippin on, but it’s working. He sounds hungry…and we LOVE it. The detail and imagery in his metaphors contribute to the many things that set him apart from artists who share his level of experience and exposure. His high-energy flow on the song pretty much starts off in overdrive and never fuses out. It is a nice contrast to his usual chill, dougie-esque songs. (which we also love!) 1000 Degrees just shows that Young Pop is capable of more. Most importantly, it shows his growth.

This song was a trending topic on Twitter a few days ago, which is a huge accomplishment. We caught up with him to see what he had to say about the song and the buzz it drew up…

“I love this kind of Wayne…this vintage, mix tape Wayne. I love the original song. I just wrote to the beat, had a vision for what I wanted the end result to sound like, and did it. I liked the turn out and I’ve gotten a lot of good feedback from my fans… It means a lot to know that people take the time to listen to my music, because I put a lot of thought and time into what I write.”

Download Young Pop ::: 1000 Degrees


...let us know what you think!